In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale introduces the three different strategies you should be considering to publish your ebook, and goes into detail about the benefits and drawbacks of Amazon KDP exclusivity:
- What are the three different ebooks strategies?
- What are the royalty, marketing, and promotional benefits of Amazon exclusivity?
- How to use Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Lending Library to increase your royalties.
- What are the drawbacks of Amazon exclusivity?
- What marketshare does Amazon have in English speaking markets?
Jay also shares the results of a three-month test she did for the latest edition of her Bodrum Travel Guide. She enrolled it in KDP Select for a 90-day period—and the impact to book royalties came as a surprise.
In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale delves into the five senses and how to use them to bring your travel writing to life by looking at your environment and capturing:
- What you see.
- What you hear.
- What you smell.
- What you taste.
- What you touch or what touches you.
Jay has also published a series of five senses travel journals to capture your senses during your trip.
Visit the show page for this episode at www.birdsofafeatherpress.com. There is also a free PDF version of this show available on my website.
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale chats with editor and writing coach Gillian Culff. This episode is packed full of actionable advice. Discover how to establish a productive working relationship with a writing coach and use Gillian's tips to improve your travel guide, travel memoir, or travel narrative. Here's what we covered in this show:
- Working with a writing coach
- The difference between writing a blog installment and a book
- Are you including too much detail in your memoir?
- How to avoid using a chronological approach to your travel memoir
- The importance of authenticity in your memoir
- Using disclaimers to preserve the narrative flow of your travel memoir
- Establishing a working relationship with a writing coach
- The value of creative writing classes and workshops
- What content falls under the category of creative nonfiction and how to use it in your nonfiction book or travel guide
Are you ready to try Facebook Ads?
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale chats with author David Penny about the basics of Facebook Advertising for travel writers with books to sell.
Why you should consider simple video ads instead of image ads.
Why you need a business mindset to build your brand.
Two reasons people fail at FB Marketing.
Keeping your FB ads simple with a single message.
Audience targeting tips for Travel Writers.
Should you pay to advertise your book?
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale chats with author David Penny about whether beginning authors should invest in book advertising using Amazon Ads or Facebook Ads, or focus on other priorities.
- What's more important than paid advertising?
- Can you afford the minimum Facebook Advertising weekly investment of $35?
- Do you know why you're writing?
- Why you should learn to market your books yourself.
- The basics for using Amazon Ads to market your book.
- The complexity of Facebook Ads.
Techniques to improve your travel writing style
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale talks about the foundational elements to master that will improve your travel writing and engage your readers.
- The difference between informational and narrative content.
- Choosing and using the right point of view.
- Creating Author Avatars to maintain a consistent writing tone.
- Choosing diction and cadence with your reader in mind.
- How to spot and avoid cliches.
- Plus, travel writing exercises to develop your writing style.
Resources and Writing Tips for your Travel Guide Research Trip
In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale talks about research trip resources, and how to use your senses to capture notes for show don't tell travel narratives and anecdotes:
- A list of local sources to use during your research trip
- How to use your five senses to capture experiences for narratives
- Questions to ask yourself to get a deeper appreciation of your destination
- Tips for getting the most out of your research trip
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale talks with Travel Memoirist Jack Scott about how to use blog content as a promotional tool for your book:
- How to get more mileage out of your blog posts
- How to use your blog content as a lead generator
- The value of guest blogging, promoting lightly, and blogging for SEO
- Importance of having an angle for your book
- Making it easy for readers to find your book
In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale talks about how to choose your ebook and paperback release strategy, and the benefits and drawbacks of each approach:
- The simple approach: just release an ebook
- The intermediate approach: release an ebook, followed by a paperback release
- The advanced approach: release and ebook and paperback at the same time
- A case study of the approach I use for my travel guides and nonfiction books
- Where you can download a PDF version of this podcast content