In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale explains why she took a podcasting break, and how she's going to fill her free time with blog maintenance tasks, blogging, and memoir writing during the Covid-19 travel restrictions.
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale chats with blogger and freelance writer, Mariana McDougall, who traveled around the U.S. and Canada for 12 months in an RV with her husband and 3 kids. She blogged about the adventure, and is in the process of turning it into a travel memoir to show other parents that just because you have children, doesn't mean the travel adventures have to stop. Here's some of the topics we discussed:
- Blogging a Book.
- Creative nonfiction resources.
- What differentiates a travel journal from a travel memoir.
- The importance of a story arc in your travel memoir.
- Mariana's writing and editing process
If you've been thinking about writing your own travel memoir, this conversation should inspire you to put pen to paper.
In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale covers tips and techniques for becoming a confident interviewer.
- Informal Interview Scenarios.
- Formal Interview Techniques.
- How to get the best from your interview subjects.
- How to eliminate formal interview nerves.
- How to capture your interview notes.
- Learn the key to becoming a good interviewer.
- How to open up the conversation to broader topics.
This episode shows you how to make the most of an interview opportunity in order to bring your travel writing to life. Practice makes perfect.
In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale covers the individual elements you need to incorporate into your book description in order to grab your reader's attention and get them to click the buy button.
- Use the ideal length for your Book Description.
- Use Clear Language That’s Easy To Read.
- Write An Engaging Opening Paragraph.
- Weave In Keywords.
- Establish Your Expertise.
- Write In Third Person Objective.
Authors, you need to view your book description as a promotional opportunity, and spend time crafting a description that puts your book's best foot forward. Don't make the mistake of rushing this self-publishing step, and wasting a free marketing tool that can differentiate you from other authors in your niche. In this episode you'll also learn which free tool will help you format your book description.
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale talks to Rachel Malek (a millennial) about the type of travel research she did when she visited, and then later moved to Italy. The goal of this show is to give us an insight into what's important to our audience.
- What research did Rachel rely on prior to her vacation and her move?
- The challenges of local of area travel resources.
- How information needs vary based on the purpose of your trip.
- An overview of travel resource sites, publications, and social media.
When you're writing a travel guide you have to consider your audience. The more we understand how our target audience looks for information, the better we can craft our content.
In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale looks at the two different ebook distribution options if you don't want to go exclusive with Amazon:
- Going direct and non-exclusive with Amazon, and signing up with an aggregator (Draft2Digital, PublishDrive and Smashwords) to reach retailers other than Amazon.
- Going direct and non-exclusive with Amazon, and going direct with Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Apple Books, or Google Play, and also using an aggregator to reach other retailers.
- The pros, cons, and challenges of going direct with all of the different retailers.
- How to simplify your distribution network.
In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale introduces the three different strategies you should be considering to publish your ebook, and goes into detail about the benefits and drawbacks of Amazon KDP exclusivity:
- What are the three different ebooks strategies?
- What are the royalty, marketing, and promotional benefits of Amazon exclusivity?
- How to use Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Lending Library to increase your royalties.
- What are the drawbacks of Amazon exclusivity?
- What marketshare does Amazon have in English speaking markets?
Jay also shares the results of a three-month test she did for the latest edition of her Bodrum Travel Guide. She enrolled it in KDP Select for a 90-day period—and the impact to book royalties came as a surprise.
In this 10-minute show travel writer Jay Artale delves into the five senses and how to use them to bring your travel writing to life by looking at your environment and capturing:
- What you see.
- What you hear.
- What you smell.
- What you taste.
- What you touch or what touches you.
Jay has also published a series of five senses travel journals to capture your senses during your trip.
Visit the show page for this episode at www.birdsofafeatherpress.com. There is also a free PDF version of this show available on my website.
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale chats with editor and writing coach Gillian Culff. This episode is packed full of actionable advice. Discover how to establish a productive working relationship with a writing coach and use Gillian's tips to improve your travel guide, travel memoir, or travel narrative. Here's what we covered in this show:
- Working with a writing coach
- The difference between writing a blog installment and a book
- Are you including too much detail in your memoir?
- How to avoid using a chronological approach to your travel memoir
- The importance of authenticity in your memoir
- Using disclaimers to preserve the narrative flow of your travel memoir
- Establishing a working relationship with a writing coach
- The value of creative writing classes and workshops
- What content falls under the category of creative nonfiction and how to use it in your nonfiction book or travel guide
Are you ready to try Facebook Ads?
In this 20-minute show travel writer Jay Artale chats with author David Penny about the basics of Facebook Advertising for travel writers with books to sell.
Why you should consider simple video ads instead of image ads.
Why you need a business mindset to build your brand.
Two reasons people fail at FB Marketing.
Keeping your FB ads simple with a single message.
Audience targeting tips for Travel Writers.